Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Ever since I went on Weight Watchers nearly seven years ago, I've tried to eat healthy.  When I stopped counting points, I still tried to eat healthy.  Now, instead of points, I count calories with the Lose It!  app

Though I've always been an omnivore, I'm eating less meat than ever these days.  I never enjoyed handling raw meat, especially beef, and with all the salmonella and pink slime headlines, it's easy to avoid meat in the grocery store.  And it saves a lot of money.  

Along with eating less meat, I'm also trying to avoid processed foods.  I'm trying to shop around the perimeter of the grocery store.  It's not always possible but I'm happy when I spend less time in the center of the store.  

Recently, I was trying to find a use for a bag of baby spinach in the fridge.  I had strawberries...and since I love spinach-strawberry salads, I threw this one together and thought I'd share it with you.  It's super easy!

Strawberry Spinach Salad a là Picky Doniamarie

1 1/2 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/4 cup sliced pineapple (I used canned (rinsed) as it was what I had on hand)
1/2 oz. roasted pecans
2 t light raspberry dressing (I used Kraft's)

I took this to lunch along with a piece of cheese and it was delicious and refreshing on a hot summer day!  And talk about healthy....without the cheese, it's only 200 calories!   

This salad will tide me over until I can get back to Panera this summer.  Have you had their Strawberry Poppyseed Chicken Salad?  Oh, goodness, it's the most delicious thing in the world!  Try it!  Love it!    


No comments: