Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Winter Palace

I've just finished a fantastic book: The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva Stachniak.  Once again, I've fallen in love with historical fiction.

My short and sweet review on Goodreads is this: 

I've always been fascinated by Russian history, ever since my first class on the subject during my undergrad years. Catherine the Great was always an interesting figure, in my mind, and so I did not hesitate to buy this book.

The story is told from the point of view of Barbara, a Polish girl in the Russian court. Barbara - Varvara in Russian - soon becomes a skilled spy and from her we learn all kinds of juicy tidbits about life as a Russian courtier.

Catherine's story is an amazing one and I hope Stachniak continues her story. This is very good historical fiction!


If you're wanting to add a Russian novel into your reading mix, I highly recommend this one!

No comments: