Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Crunch Super Slim Down: Pilates Yoga Blend (Review)

I own three workouts by Ellen Barrett, one of which was reviewed here.  Perhaps my favorite of her pilates/yoga workouts is Crunch Super Slim Down: Pilates Yoga Blend (2005).


Ellen begins with some breathing and back bends before moving into some yoga sequences - warrior pose, triangle pose, reverse warrior.  I really like these.  In fact, sometimes I'll just do the first 10 minutes of this video to feel refreshed and stretched out.  And this is the type of yoga I like - upbeat without all the breathing and meditation.

The next Pilates series is deceptively challenging - you go from child's pose and lift up and back with a push-up and end  in a plank position.  This really gets your arms!  Next up is a sequence of leg exercises - while on your side and then sitting up.  I really like this - not too hard but fun and challenging!  Then Ellen finishes with some ab work, done on your back. These are familiar pilates moves tweaked to get your abs burning!  

This is the closest workout to pure yoga that I own and I really like it!  Ellen is great and her moves are a great combination of unique and traditional.  Despite all the weights and cardio in my workout routine, I will occasionally do this video and my arms will always hurt afterward.  Ellen has crafted a workout that targets muscles we frequently forget about.

Bottom Line: This is a great video for beginners of yoga and/or Pilates.  If you're crazy advanced at either, this may be too easy for you.

No comments: