Friday, February 14, 2014

The Hangman's Daughter

I recently finished an interesting read by German author Oliver Potzsch: The Hangman's Daughter.  Here's the review i posted on Goodreads:

As a lover of historical fiction, this book greatly appealed to me as it takes place in seventeenth-century Bavaria. Rural Germany is not a common setting of historical fiction these days (the genre is saturated with mind-numbing Tudor England novels) nor is the local hangman a character frequently focused upon. Thus, I was intrigued.

I loved the characters in this novel; the Kuisls are a real family of Bavarian hangmen and Jakob came to life as the outcast, as the town hangman who learned the craft from his father. Simon, the local physician, and Magdelena, the hangman's daughter, have great personalities and provide the love story of the novel. In the end, this book was just a bit too much like a mystery for me. Also, the title of the book makes no sense - Magdelena was only a supporting character.

That being said, I'm interested enough in the life of the hangman to read more.


I found the next two books in the series on clearance, so I can keep reading!

No comments: