Friday, February 21, 2014

Vegetarian Chili

I love chili.  Love it!  I used to get so mad at my dad who would only let us make chili during the winter.  I would go chili-deprived for 8 months out of the year!  It was a relief to finally have my own kitchen and able to make chili whenever I wanted!

Since I've started eating less meat, I developed this vegetarian chili recipe to satisfy my chili cravings.  It has plenty of beans, spiciness, and tomato-y goodness to satisfy my tastebuds.  Feel free to play around with the ingredients, depending on your favorite beans and desired amount of spiciness. 

Doniamarie's Vegetarian Chili

1/3 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 15-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, low-sodium
8 ounces tomato paste
2 15-ounce cans Ranch Style Beans
1 15-ounce can, black beans
1 15-ounce can, garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3-4 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp pepper
salt, to taste
water, to preference

Combine chopped onion, pepper, and olive oil in a large pot and heat on medium to high until onions are starting to become transparent.

Add diced tomatoes and tomatoe paste, stir well to combine.  Bring to a boil.  Add all the beans (with liquid, except for the garbanzo beans), bring to a boil.  Add spices and simmer on medium for 15 minutes.  Depending on how thick or soupy you prefer your chili, you may want to add some water.  I've been known to add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes...but I'm from Texas!

I usually get 8 servings from this, making each serving 242 calories.  Mr. Higgins prefers a side of cornbread with his chili - so yummy! 

This recipe freezes very well!  I freeze individual servings for lunches and quick dinners.


No comments: