Monday, May 19, 2014

One-Pan Farro with Tomatoes (2014:18)

I've been wanting to try some different grains - rice is so boring - and when I came across this recipe for One-Pan Farro with Tomatoes, I was instantly intrigued by farro.

It turns out that farro is an ancient grain that fed the Roman armies.  Well, you know me and therefore, you know this would catch my attention.  Italians have dined on farro for centuries.  As I read about this history of this grain, I wondered why I had never seen or heard of it. 

The search for farro in the grocery store was not easy.  It was nowhere to be found - except at Central Market.  They sell (in the grain aisle) a pre-cooked pearled variety of farro that cooks in 10 minutes.  Cool!

On Saturday, I made my 18th new recipe of the year - One-Pan Farro with Tomatoes.  I made one adjustment: I used drained, rinsed, petite diced tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes (which I don't like). 

The dish was delicious - though a bit salty for my taste.  Next time, I'll scale back the salt and let the farro cook for a few additional minutes.  But this is a great meal or side dish; Mr. Higgins even approved the dish.  If I make it again for a meal, I may add some chicken.  I'm learning that my body is not satisfied with mere carbohydrates, even if they're complex, for a meal. 

Next, I want to try some farro salads!

No comments: