Monday, May 26, 2014

Week One: Peak 10 Challenge

And we're off!  My first Peak 10 Challenge, lasting eight weeks.  I was so excited to get started with this, especially after my Q&A with it's creator, Michelle Dozois. 

Every week, I'll give you a run-down of my workouts and progress.  Along the way, I'll give you my complete reviews of the workouts, usually after I've done them a few times.  I'm following the schedule, mostly, provided in the Peak Fit Challenge kit, with a few modifications of days and a few extra workouts thrown in, mainly in the beginning.  (I'm used to working out 7 days a week and the first few weeks of the Challenge schedule have a day of rest.)  The only other factor regarding weight loss is the diet.  I'm not following the diet plan, but I am trying to get the right amount of protein every day - something that's not always easy for me.

I'm also going to try to incorporate some little goals each week.  First up: no candy.  I tend to keep a stash at work and, though I limit myself, I'm going to give it up entirely for a week.  Instead, I'll munch on something healthy.

So, here we go....

Sunday: Pre-Challenge Fit Test (Peak Fit)

Wow.  I knew it would not be easy but...wow.  Michelle walks you through about ten of her most commonly used "peak" movements - HIIT moves - and you see how many you can do in a minute.  Write that number down and hope to see improvement at the end of the eight weeks.  So, 60 seconds of crazy jumping/movement, 60 seconds to rest, 60 seconds of HIIT, 60 seconds of rest.....  The test takes about 30 minutes and I was sweating bullets by the end.  Michelle gives you a good warm-up and cool-down.  When I finished the test, I did 30 additional minutes of her Cardio Strength Remix....   And I was exhausted

Monday: Pure Strength 1 (Peak Fit)

I tested out this workout a few weeks ago...and it hasn't gotten any easier.  After a warm-up you go through weight circuits.  There are four circuits that you do twice: back, chest, legs, arms and shoulders.  You need your band provided in the kit, light and heavy weights.  I love the band and how versatile it is, but it does not like me.  I can barely get my arm up high enough with curls for it to qualify as a curl.  Ugh.  I'm really hoping I see some improvement after eight weeks. 

Good news for the day: no candy!  Low-fat popcorn sustained me and I ignored urgings for sugar!  Yay!

Tuesday: Pure Cardio (Peak Fit)

This morning's workout was especially hard since I only slept for about two hours the night prior.  Ugh!  But I made it through Pure Cardio, which I had done once before just for a preview.  There are no "peaks" in this workout but that doesn't mean you don't work.  I was dripping with sweat.  It's good, pure, fun cardio!

No candy today - but it was tougher to abstain.  I went to an HR training talk at lunch.  I avoided 80% of the pasta in the chicken and pasta dish and also went past the garlic bread.  I loaded up on salad and splurged with chocolate cake, which I fully accounted for in my calorie count for the day.

Wednesday: Anytime Anywhere No Excuse Workout (Peak Fit)

For some reason, this workout almost killed me.  The "ascents" were much shorter and, therefore, the frequency of the "peaks" was much higher.  I had to shorten some of my "peaks" to get through this.  Dang.  I can already tell that this will be the video I dread out of all of Michelle's workout videos.

No candy today, outside of two peppermints to settle my stomach.

Thursday: Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped

On the Peak Fit schedule, there was a day of rest, which I chose to ignore (flexibility tomorrow is enough rest for me!).  For some additional strength training, I turned to Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped.  There is no cardio in here but your heart rate gets up there with the challenging compound moves Jari leads you through.

Instead of going for candy today, I tried pepitas for a snack. 

Friday: Dynamic Flexibility and Core Dynamics (Peak Fit)

I really needed a light day and Dynamic Flexibility was wonderful!  I can see how Michelle Dozois went from this workout to creating BodyFit 360.  After this 30-minute video, I did the warm-up and first circuit of Core Dynamics.  Not easy at all!  Despite all my crunches, I still can't do a real sit-up.  Ugh.  Must work on that!


No candy today!

Saturday: Cardio Strength I 


Before the Peak 10 Challenge, I'd been doing a cardio interval burn and cardio strength video (of Michelle Dozois') about 3 out of 4 weekends a month.  I know them all pretty well now.  But just now am I trying my hardest to do ALL of the workout.  I used to skip an interval.  I did all of Cardio Strength I (also known as Peak 10 Cardio Strength) today and it was not at all easy.  I was sweating so much….  Now that it's summer, the house is much warmer and it's really had an effect on my workouts.  I tire more easily and sweat buckets.  Literally.  But I got through this entire workout.  It felt great - afterwards.

Sunday: 
Peak 10 More Cardio Interval Burn

After almost dying with Saturday's workout, I was nervous about doing this Cardio Interval Burn - the second Peak 10 cardio that Michelle Dozois released.  But I got through it with less pain, but just about as much sweat.  And I got through all of it.  I did not skip a section like I normally do.  Yay!  


Calorie counts:
Sunday: 1370
Monday: 1486 - due to going out for book group
Tuesday: 1389
Wednesday: 1397
Thursday: 1391

Friday: too much (out to eat)
Saturday: 1886 (I know, I know - holiday weekend)
Sunday: about 1600 (I'm not sure due to eating out)

One week down.  Seven more to go!  I'm loving this Challenge so far!!

No comments: