Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Dragonfly in Amber

It took a while, but I recently finished the second novel in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, Dragonfly in Amber.  I had a few books going, which is why it took a bit longer but I really enjoyed it!

My Goodreads review:


When I started this series, I had no idea how Gabaldon could make it last for so many books. I still have no idea but I'm beginning to understand just how good of a storyteller she really is. This book was better than the first, in my opinion!

The story of the Jacobite rebellions is fascinating but Gabaldon adds a new twist - telling part of that story in France. Jamie and Claire flee to France where they are recruited to help Bonnie Prince Charlie, who, incidentally, was not actually called Bonnie until he fled Britain AFTER his invasion (just a minor error there). Paris was fascinating to read about and Gabaldon does an excellent job making it real, dirty, and opulent. 

Jamie and Claire's relationship matures greatly in this novel - past pure lust (though there's still lust) and into real life. I can't wait to see what will happen next. Gabaldon has made me a believer.

No comments: