Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Hash Brown Egg Bake

Several weeks ago, a co-worker brought in one of the best breakfast casseroles I've ever had: Taste of Home's Hash Brown Egg Bake.

Said co-worker experimented in two different casserole "editions" to find a way to get it seasoned just right.  The first time she made it, following the recipe, she said it was too bland and didn't have enough salt.  So the second time she made it - the "edition" I tried - she used tons of spices of her own choosing.  

I decided to make this Hash Brown Egg Bake for a Father's Day brunch.  Finding the seasoned hash browns that my co-worker used was the hardest part.  I finally found some, seasoned with garlic, onion, and white pepper.  Score!  My other changes....  Skim milk instead of whole; 2% mild cheddar; 1 teaspoon of salt; normal, center-cut bacon; 6 eggs and 4 egg whites; more paprika and more pepper.  I assembled this the night before and left it in the fridge until I took it out 30 minutes before it was to go in the oven (per the instructions).

And it was fantastic.  Amazing.  Everyone loved it.  I think Mr. Higgins ate 2/3 of it.  No joke!  One additional comment - this is way more than 8 servings.  I fed 6, all of whom had seconds, and there was 1/3 left - which Mr. Higgins inhaled the same night for dinner.

This will become a special occasion staple for me!  

No comments: