Thursday, June 8, 2017

Morning Workouts

When I switched jobs about four (!) years ago, I switched up my workout routine.  I went from working out in the evening, as soon as I got home, to working out five minutes after waking up every weekday.  

That's a big change.  And it was for the better.  Let me tell you why...

--I have no time to dread my workout or talk myself out of it.  I just jump out of bed and do it, purely on auto-pilot for the first bit.  On the rare occasions that I wake up before the alarm, I dread working out only if I hate my workout for the day - and that's rare.

--I never miss a workout.  Nothing comes up - except the rare illness - at 5:30am to keep me from working out.  I love it!  

--It limits the time I can dread a workout.  As stated before, I rarely dread a workout, but if I do, I don't have time to talk myself out of it because by the time my brain is fully functional, I'm already jumping, jogging, or punching.  

--I never overthink a move or a step - I just do it.  My brain is simply following the moves for the first 15-20 minutes.   

--My workout is over and done with before I know it.  No more dreading going home and NOT relaxing - and working out instead.  I hated those days and now they're no more.

--By the time I get to work, my workout is like a bad dream with no influence over the rest of my day.  I love getting it over and done with before I can think about it.

--I have more energy in the morning than after a long day at work.  On the rare times I do an evening workout these days, they exhaust me.  I'm literally a zombie afterward.  Morning workouts are energizing and give me the confidence to feel strong and powerful throughout the day.

If those aren't enough reasons for you to give morning workouts a try, then I don't know what is.  That being said, I've never hit a snooze button on an alarm.  If you're a snoozer, morning workouts may be difficult.

No comments: