Friday, June 18, 2010

Mad Men

Mr. Higgins suggested I watch the previous seasons of MAD MEN so that I can watch the upcoming season, which starts in July, with him. I'd always been intrigued by what I'd heard about the show and was willing to watch it. Given the crazy Texas heat, we've had plenty of opportunities to stay inside, in the air conditioning, and watch MAD MEN the past few weeks. We're halfway through season two, I think.

I've never so thoroughly enjoyed watching a show that revolves around so many despicable people. I can't name one character that I like or sympathize with, but it's still so much fun watching them screw up their lives and tamper with the happiness of others.

The time itself freaks me out - the 1960s. In my mind, the time of the housewife, misogyny, smoking....basically, my worst nightmare. I hate the way women are treated and my inner feminist is perpetually appalled both by the men who so casually commit adultery and the women who tolerate such disgusting men. And the worst of all evils...the blonde trophy wife....Betty Draper. Is there an original thought in her head? Ugh!

Still, the storylines hook me in, every episode, without fail. And that's what great TV is, methinks!


2 comments:

the secret knitter said...

While sometimes it can be too on the nose, Mad Men can be revelatory in how it shows the extent of changes in society and technology in the recent past. On the small scale, the Drapers' littering after a picnic strikes me as a behavior that has largely been altered.

If you like Mad Men, give Breaking Bad a shot. It's also centered on the ugly side of people but is thrilling to watch in a different way than Mad Men.

Doniamarie said...

Yeah, the picnic littering seemed like I was watching a family living on Mars. Ha!

Um...I don't think I've heard of BREAKING BAD. It seems I'm pop-culturally illiterate! Ha! Thanks for the suggestion; I'll look it up!