Monday, June 24, 2013

Before Midnight

Have you seen the BEFORE movies?  BEFORE SUNRISE, BEFORE SUNSET, and BEFORE MIDNIGHT more specifically.

These movies tell the story of Jesse and Celine (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy), their up and downs, over the course of almost twenty years.  These movies are amazing and, if you watch them, one of them will get to you, on a very profound level, I guarantee.

The first, BEFORE SUNRISE, sees two idealistic college students meeting on a train in Europe.  They immediately feel a connection and get off the train together.  They have until sunrise and in those hours, they form a rare connection - the kind all of us wants.  They promise to meet in six months. 

The second movie, BEFORE SUNSET happens almost ten years later.  Jesse has written a book and, while on his book tour, runs into Celine.  We find out if they met up again and if there is still a connection.  

The latest movie, BEFORE MIDNIGHT, set almost ten years after the last, tells the story of what happens when romance is rare and real life is inevitable.  It was released into theaters last weekend.  

I saw the second movie first.  It's actually still my favorite one.  It hits deep for me.  I think it's also the best movie - it takes place in real time and the conversations and revelations are stunning.  When I saw the first movie, I felt almost disconnected from the idealistic youths on the screen.  Sure, everyone wants to meet their soul mate on a train in Europe...but I guess my life was so different from theirs.....I just can't empathize with college-age Celine and Jesse.

SUNSET guts me every time.  MIDNIGHT hurt.  I honestly felt pained watching the last one.  It's almost too real.  But it's also a superb film.

These movies are about human connections, life, and love.  They are not action-packed and, therefore, are not for everyone.  They comprise entirely of conversations between two people.  But the acting is superb.  The characters are real - they're you and me.

I highly recommend them all.

No comments: