Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Flight of Gemma Hardy

I finished a good book the other day entitled The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey.  It's a modern re-telling of the story of Jane Eyre.  

Here's the review I posted on Goodreads

The story of Jane Eyre was a favorite of mine so when I saw that this was a re-telling of the tale, I eagerly picked it up.

Livesey has written a very nice novel. My main problem with Jane Eyre was her love of Mr. Rochester: it was incomprehensible and unbelievable. I loved the rest of the story, just not the love story. Livesey writes a more believable romantic tale, I think, which adds greatly to the overall story of Gemma Hardy.

However, Livesey adds some tangents to Gemma's life that made me like her less. All in all, however, I could understand why Gemma did what she did - and understanding a character's motives are important, even if you don't agree with their actions.

I'm glad to have read this.  

No comments: