Sunday, August 4, 2013

Committed

I recently finished Elizabeth Gilbert's (author of Eat, Pray, Love) new book, Committed: A Love Story.  I really liked EPL so I as intrigued by the follow-up that focused on Liz and Felipe's story - after all her adventures.

Here is the review I posted to Goodreads:

This is a book in which Elizabeth Gilbert tries to convince herself that marriage is okay.

When Felipe can no longer come to the U.S., Gilbert must face the reality of their unique situation - marriage is the only remedy for their "happily ever after." And so she commences her discussion of marriage - the history of it, how it differs among cultures, and the role of women within marriage.

I must admit that I learned a lot from this book. But it was not what I expected. Gilbert, quite frankly, exhausts me with her need to be advised.


I really wanted to tell Liz to get a grip.  However, she reminds me of myself with her need to get all the advice on the planet before making any big decision.  Maybe the lesson here is that I over-think everything and am, therefore, exhausting.  Arg. Reality is hard to face sometimes.

No comments: