Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Shadowy Horses

My in-laws loaned me The Shadowy Horses, by Susanna Kearsley, a while back and I've just now gotten around to reading it.   I usually like Kearsley and her Scottish historical epics, but this one just didn't work. 

Since my Goodreads review was a bit too consise, I'll try to write a better review here.

When I learned that this book deals with the mystery of Rome's Ninth Legion, which may or may not have disappeared in Britian, I was fascinated.  I love my Roman history!  And so I enjoyed Verity's story - a young archeaologist recruited for a job in Scotland that may involve the Ninth Legion.  But when mystics, ghosts, and a forced love story started developing, I grew tired of this novel.  It was a bit too formulaic for me and the drama at the end was awkward at best.

I finished the book though it was mediocre.  Kearsley has done much better and this appears to be an early writing attempt for her.  Skip it and go on to her better novels.

No comments: