Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Lentil Chili (2014:36)

Until recently, I had never tried a lentil.  Growing up, we never ate them and I, therefore, never saw them or tasted them.  A co-worker, though, was talking about them several months ago and I was intrigued.  I made a batch - simply spiced and with onion - and I liked them.  Mr. Higgins liked them!  And so I started pinning lentil recipes.

Considering how much I love chili, you know Lentil Chili caught my eye.  This recipe, especially, since it has beans (so many of them omit the beans).  Last weekend, wishing it felt more like fall, I made this chili recipe.

I had to change a few things…  For the beans, I used one can of Ranch Style Beans (the best beans) and one can of red beans.  Another tablespoon of chili powder was required, as was red pepper flakes - we like things hot and spicy here.  When it came time to serve the chili, it was super thick, so I added another cup of water.  I omitted the cheese and tortilla chips; we don't need the calories.  

The chili turned out great!  It definitely satisfied my chili craving and impressed Mr. Higgins, who is not so easily impressed by chili.  It made the 12 servings it said, so I had tons for the freezer and lunches.  Yay!  I love finding great new recipes!

No comments: