Friday, October 17, 2014

Skinny Pumpkin Spice Bars (2014:35)

Fall is finally - finally - in the air here in Texas. What that means is that the highs are now in the upper 80s most days. Ha! Gotta love the Lone Star State.

I've been yearning to make all things pumpkin and when Boss' Day came around, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try a new pumpkin recipe! When I was browsing Sally's Baking Addiction, I noticed her Skinny Pumpkin Spice Bars and pinned the recipe. Since it was easy, it was perfect to make on a weekday to take to work - for Boss' Day!

I made the recipe as is, though I used egg substitute instead of real eggs. Alarmingly, I almost forgot the brown sugar since I was so enthralled with the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Ha! But I got the sugar in on time and spread the mixture into the pan.

Once in the oven, I set the timer for 25 minutes. At the halfway mark, I turned on the oven light and was distressed to see no change in the batter. I tried not to panic. By the 25 minute mark, the cake was looking good but needed a bit longer. Next time, I will bake these for 30 minutes. I let them cool and cut them into 12 squares. That makes them 133 calories each.

I split one of the bars with Mr. Higgins - wanting to make sure they were good for work. And they were delicious - spicy, moist, and full of pumpkiny goodness! Mr. Higgins promptly wanted to know when we could have our own batch! Yay! Success!!

No comments: