Monday, January 5, 2015

Pillars of the Earth

I was so close to finishing Pillars of the Earth in 2014, but alas that did not happen.  

Here's the review I posted to Goodreads.

This novel has been on my "to read" list for ages. It's been recommended to me countless times by historians and history lovers alike.  

About five years ago, when I first tried to read Pillars of the Earth, I didn't last long - only until Follett misstated the vows of monks. Disgusted, I set the novel aside. I picked it up again in August - and only now finished it. The main reason it took so very long was because this is not a book that can easily be carried around; it's just too big.  

I both loved and hated this story. It was much darker than I expected but I love the architecture talk throughout. I hated the disgusting antagonist but loved Aliena and her story. The story is so dark that I fear anyone with no concept of history will truly think that the Middle Ages were the Dark Ages, with good reason. My inner historian shudders at the thought of this.  


Follett's World Without End sits on my bookshelf, untouched. I honestly don't know if I'll ever pick it up.

No comments: