Monday, January 19, 2015

Combat Challenge: Week 2

My cruise/holiday weight isn't budging and I'm about to get desperate.  After eating really well all last week (and weekend) and working out every day, I'm hoping to see some results this week.  I just need something to know I'm making a difference.  

In the past, I've been able to drop weight a bit more quickly - at least, I've been able to see a difference. I blame the thyroid.  Thankfully, I go in to see the doctor in about two weeks and she can re-evaluate my hormone dosage then.  

In the meantime, here's my week in workouts…

Monday: Combat 30 - Kick Start + Ilyse Baker's Dance Intervals 101 + yoga

I really tried to give 105% with Combat this morning, to keep my heart rate up.  If sweating is any indication, I succeeded.  To get in a full 50-minute workout, I did about 20 minutes of Ilyse's Dance Intervals, which is more athletic cardio than dance.  Jogging, jogging, jogging.  Yoga was back in session at the rec center and it was a lot of fun - and challenging.  The teacher is too cute.  "Smile," she says, "so I know you still like me."  Ha!

Tuesday: Combat Power HIIT 1 + Jeffrey Scott's HIIT - Sports Inspired Intervals

I was not looking forward to this Combat workout, since the last five minutes is spent doing burpees.  But I got through it.  Barely.  I paired it with Scott's HIIT workout, which I've done a few times.  It's definitely effective.  Lunch was spent at a nutrition talk, so no extra workout today. 

Wednesday:  Amy Dixon's Intervals + Dozois' HIIT - Breathless and Energized + yoga 

On the Combat calendar, I'm supposed to do another Combat 30....but I'd rather do other cardio, thank you very much.  For some reason, Amy's 30-minute Intervals Glo workout looked appealing - though it repeats the same 4 moves over and over.  I made some modifications to keep myself entertained, but otherwise it was fun. And Amy wasn't quite as chatty.  Dozois' HIIT is one of my faves and it rounded out my 50-minute workout.  At lunch, I did yoga, which was super hard today. 

Thursday: Combat Shock Plyo HIIT 2 + Dozois' Calorie Burning Cardio Blast

I woke up with crazy lower back pain, which is something entirely new to me. It must have been yoga yesterday.  I got through Michelle's cardio and the Combat HIIT but all I wanted to do was round my back for relief.  Sigh.  I had a shock this morning: I got on the scale for the first time since December and it was not good.  I'm sure my thyroid meds will have to be adjusted when I see the doctor next week.

Friday:  Peak Fit Dynamic Flexibility + abs + weights 

For two weeks, I've been going hard with these workouts, so I decided to give myself a treat this morning.  Wow!  (My "rest" day on the Combat calendar.)  It felt so good to do Michelle's Dynamic Flex (especially with my low back still achy).  You get warm enough to stretch out and feel invigorated for the day.  I followed that 30-minute video with 10 minutes of abs from Star Trainers - Rob Glick's circuit.  At lunch, I did weights (ugh) and then made two laps around the track.  

Saturday:  Peak 10 Cardio Interval Burn Remix 

The Combat calendar called two days of Combat 60 this week, but I needed my Peak 10 fix. Michelle's CIB Remix was a nice change this morning.  Because I like it so much, I always forget just how demanding this workout really is.  Wow!

Sunday:  Combat 60 - Extreme Cardio Fighter

While I wasn't really looking forward to this workout, I wasn't dreading it.  This one has no burpees or lunge jumps, like the HIIT videos.  But there are so many punches and kicks and jumps….  Whew!  My FitBit goes crazy trying to count my steps!  I added on some of my own cardio to give me a full 60-minute workout and then treated myself to ten minutes of stretching.

Calorie Counts:

Monday - 1275
Tuesday - 1260
Wednesday - 1284
Thursday - 1290

Friday - 1372
Saturday - 1271
Sunday - 1257

Once again, I really tried to stay on track this week and was proud of myself.  However, getting on the scale on Thursday morning did nothing to help my psyche.  I can't believe this weight isn't budging.  I allowed myself a few extra calories on Friday night, though we didn't do our usual Friday night out.  And I was good the rest of the weekend.  We're already talking about going out next Friday - our one and only night out in January….and I can't wait.  I can already taste the margarita!

No comments: