Friday, April 3, 2015

Lonesome Dove

My father-in-law quoted Lonesome Dove at my wedding.  My husband required my viewing of the miniseries before our marriage.  To say that this novel is part of our family's cultural compass is an understatement.  

Even though my husband and his family are from Tennessee, they were clearly all meant to be Texans.  They understand the minds of Augustus McCrae and Woodrow Call better than any Texans I know.  My husband is, in fact, very much like Call: hardworking independent people who want to be left alone to do what they want when they want.

I was happy when my book group chose to read this classic by Larry McMurtry (it was not my suggestion) and was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

My review on Goodreads:


I never thought I'd read a Western but I couldn't be happier that I did! McMurtry has a gift for bringing unique and odd characters to lovable life. His descriptions of life in Texas and on the Plains is incredibly tangible. You live and breathe every dust storm, river, and blizzard with the cowboys as they make their way north. 

Having seen the mini-series before having read the book, I knew my favorite character would be Gus. McMurtry gives him the best lines of the book, which I'll forever call Gus-isms. Call is endearingly hard and quiet. July, Newt, Lorie, Clara, Deets, Blue Duck - these are all unforgettable characters. 

I'm so glad I read this book. Every Texan - every American - should read it!

No comments: