Friday, May 22, 2015

Bermuda Trivia

When I met Mr. Higgins and he told me of his love of cruising, I was apprehensive.  I had been on one cruise and didn't really love it.  However, after one cruise with my future husband (Mr. Higgins), I knew I could do many, many more cruises.  Ever wary of bad seas, though, I swore off transatlantic cruises and Bermuda cruises.

And where is our next cruise to?  Bermuda.  How did it come to this?  Well, we've done (together) 13 Caribbean cruises, one Alaska cruise, and Europe cruises (well, airfare) are just not an option when we want to go on three trips a year.  We wanted something different and Mr. Higgins' parents really wanted to do Bermuda.  

So off we go.  Right now, when you read this, I'm sailing toward Bermuda.

When I tell people we're going to Bermuda, about half of them think that Bermuda is in the Caribbean.  No.  The other half don't know where it is other than in the ocean.  Okay….  

Bermuda is 640 miles due west of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.  Technically, it's in the north Atlantic (the tropical Atlantic starts just south of Bermuda).  To get to Bermuda, we do not sail through the Bermuda Triangle.  We have, interestingly, sailed through the Triangle on our way to the Caribbean isles from Florida.  I wish I didn't know that, actually.

Bermuda was discovered in 1503 by the Spanish.  The British found it in 1609, two years after settling in North America, and built a settlement there.  It's been British ever since and is currently the most populace British Territory.  

We get to spend 2.5 days in Bermuda and I can't wait.  I've heard such amazing things about this place.  Also, we sail out of Baltimore and for 10 hours after we leave, we're sailing down the Chesapeake.  That should be awesome!  

Let's just hope we have good sailing weather.  The north Atlantic…..oy.  

No comments: