Monday, August 17, 2015

Week One: Combat Challenge #2

This week I'm back to Combat.  I first tried Les Mills' program earlier this year, using the DVD set. This time around, I'm trying it On Demand on the Combat site.  I'll do a few of the longer Combat workouts on DVD but mostly, I'll do what's on the site.  Why?  Because it includes more workouts and different workouts - yoga, dance, pump (no!), cycling (no!), abs.

I'm excited to try these new workouts.  I'll subscribe to the site for only the two months of the Challenge (it's $12.99/month) and will keep FitnessGlo going to supplement the workouts.

Let's get started!

Monday: Les Mill's Sh'Bam #17 + Ilyse's Just Dance + bike


I had so much fun with my first On Demand workout by Les Mills.  I tried Sh'Bam and it was great!  This "line" of Les Mills is dance.  Out of the entire workout - 30 minutes - there was only one routine that I didn't love, and it lasted only 2-4 minutes.  So, wow!  After that was done, I tuned into Ilyse's dance workout - always fun!  So, a fun morning and a great way to start a Monday. At lunch, wanting something different, I got on the bike at the rec.  Ugh.  I hate bikes but it was a good change today.

Tuesday: Les Mills' BodyCombat #61 + bike

Time for Combat!  Yay!  It was a lot of fun to get back into this program with the classic workout.  This routine was a lot harder than I expected - and I was feeling it!  Whew!  All those jabs, hooks, and uppercuts really add up when paired with some simple footwork.  That lasted about 35 minutes, after which I did my own cardio to get up to 50 minutes.  At lunch, I tackled the bike again.  I know, I should have done weights....but I have my summer Wellness Challenge weigh-in on Thursday and I need cardio!  But I hate bikes.  Just sayin'.

Wednesday:  Dozois' Heart-Pumping Total Sculpting + Ilyse's Groovy Dance Party + walk

Late last night, my shoulders began to ache; this morning, I was almost miserable.  All from BodyCombat.  Wow.  I was looking forward to weights with Dozois today - her 20 minute workout is perfect!  Then, dance with Ilyse is always fun.  I stopped a few times throughout that video to do some more weights.  A good morning workout!  At lunch, I walked at the rec and even added some jogging intervals into the mix.  I weighed this morning and I'm 0.2 pounds within my "normal" range - so just barely there but amazing nonetheless considering my eating of late.  I need to maintain that through tomorrow morning for my weigh-in!

Thursday:  Les Mills' Grit #3 + Ilyse's Your Best, Sweaty Self


I was dreading this morning like nothing else.  Grit is Les Mills' HIIT workout series.  Some have weights, some do not.  I chose to not do weights and I tried to find an easier one for my first go-around.  This was not easy but at least it didn't have 10 minutes of burpees.  Despite my aversion to burpees, I did a few in this workout.  And it wasn't too bad.  The video lasted 30 minutes and I then switched to Ilyse's new workout which is pure cardio and tough.  This one is unlike her usual workouts, which is good….but ouch!  So, an hour of cardio, then a stretch.  I left for my scrapbook retreat after all this.  Yay!

Friday:  PeakFit Dynamic Flexibility

After all these crazy workouts I needed something very calm today.  Plus, I was out of town at my scrapbook retreat.  Michelle's Dynamic Flexibility was just what I needed.  I love this one!  And despite it being all flexibility, I always start dripping sweat.  It felt great this morning!

Saturday:  Combat 60 - Extreme Cardio Fighter

On the weekends, I'm going to alternate the two Combat 60s on the Les Mills Combat DVD set.  They're the few DVDs that did not screw up in my laptop.  This morning - amazingly - my shoulders still hurt from Tuesday.  Ugh.  I powered through all the punches in this workout and I'm proud of myself for doing it.  It's the last day of my scrapbook retreat and I didn't really want to work out.  LOL!

Sunday:  Peak 10 Cardio Strength - Fat Blaster

Working out was the last thing I wanted to do today, after getting home from my scrapbook retreat.  I was tired and my stomach was upset.  But I made myself do it - because I ate too much the last three days.  I added on some additional cardio to make it 60 minutes - and then a 5 minute stretch.  

My first week of Combat was good!  And achy!  HA!

No comments: