Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Dead Wake

For May, my book group chose to read Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson.  Come to think of it, I suggested the piece of non-fiction to the group.  

I'd heard great things about Larson's work and several of his books have sounded interesting to me - but I'd never read him.  When the Lusitania book came out, I knew I had to read it. Considering how much we cruise, it just seemed like a must read.  

Parts of this book were very interesting to me.  Learning about the captain of the Lusitania and the commander of the u-boat that sank it, U-20, was fascinating.  For some reason, the stories of the passengers did not hold my attention all that well.  Larson's writing was good and informative, reading like fiction at times.  But this was not the best non-fiction I've read.

If you have any interest in World War I or ships, I recommend this book.  It is very informative.

No comments: