Monday, November 15, 2010

Family

It was a busy week last week followed by a crazy, but good, weekend.

My parents and Mr. Higgins' parents had lots of bonding time and it was great to spend so much time with both families. They are all so happy about the engagement and all that it means.

I've made no secret of the pressure my dad used to put on me to get out there and actively search for my future husband. I resented it for a very long time, annoyed that my dad's happiness was so intertwined with my own. Why should I be responsible for his happiness?! It's more complicated than that, I know, but it was always frustrating.

The other day, as I found myself sitting between my dad and Mr. Higgins, I realized that, as much as Dad wanted me to find that special someone, it is also difficult to see another man become the center of my universe. There is something to the "daddy's little girl" thing, even if I was always closer to my mom.

So I'm grateful to have such a wonderful, loving family. They've done so much for me and now, for Mr. Higgins and me. I'm so glad we'll continue to have close relationships with our parents....and that Mr. Higgins' parents seem to like me! Ha!

No comments: