Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mr. Potter

I can't believe I'm going to do this but apparently I am... I, along with Mr. Higgins and friends, will see the new HARRY POTTER movie on opening night. I am officially one of the masses. Sigh.

Despite vehement protests on my part, to start, at least, Mr. Higgins made me get through all the movies. I'd seen bits and pieces of some and all of one, but I was now required to see them all, in chronological order. I'll admit to liking them, though I think they're way too mature for many youngsters who read the books.

But I hate buying into trends and pop culture. I guess that makes me a bit of a snob....and I don't care. I like finding the hidden treasures that no one else reads or knows about. Rarely do I read something on the bestseller lists - and if I do, it's years after the popularity of a book has died down. I don't follow what is commonly referred to as music these days (Lady what?). And I have no idea who most of the youngsters gracing magazine covers are. I hate reality television (except Project Runway, of course!) and most TV, in general, is ridiculous, in my opinion.

So....I'm a snob. Give me a book - historical fiction, please - and classical music any night!

Yet I'll be in line to see HARRY POTTER on Friday. I want to see it. But I'm not touching TWILIGHT with a mile-long pole. No way. Some part of my dignity must remain intact!

2 comments:

the secret knitter said...

You're familiar with Sturgeon's Law ("Ninety percent of everything is crud."), right?

I don't think there's any need to apologize for being selective or having interests outside of the mainstream. Likewise, I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping tabs on, if not investing oneself in, popular culture and trends. After all, the canon is merely pop culture that has stood the test of time.

There's a case to be made for the quality of the Harry Potter books (and the films, for the most part), but it's been done elsewhere many times over. While I think the Twilight films are pretty dreadful overall--the 2nd and 3rd moreso than the 1st--I find them worth exploring (and enduring), if merely to analyze why they touch a cultural nerve.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's fine to stick with what interests you, but I wouldn't write off wholesale what is popular. After all, although there's plenty of garbage on television, many consider the best of the medium's output to indicate a creative renaissance. I agree. (And no, I'm not talking about Glee, a show that can be good and infuriatingly awful.)

Doniamarie said...

I find I'm a great fan of Sturgeon's Law, TSK! I try to be open minded - which is why I've watched the HP series - since I know there must be something good there to be so popular. I'll try not to write off all popular things. (except Twilight - ha!)