Monday, November 22, 2010

Movie-Going

I survived my opening night Harry Potter experience. Barely. Mr. Higgins and I ranted about this for along time after the movie, so I thought I'd share.

You're in a packed theater. Half of the people around you are under the age of twelve. One of those little brats is kicking your chair. As you wait for the movie to begin, you dread who is going to sit next to you. A family with two kids and a baby walks in. They sit on your row. The baby cries intermittently throughout the entire movie. You hear the mom trying to soothe the baby. In a movie that is, overall, pretty quiet, you hear every squeal, whimper, and sniffle of that baby.

This was our experience on Friday. What kind of mother takes a baby to a movie with sound so loud that it can damage young eardrums? What kind of mother decides to ruin the movie-going experience of hundreds of people by bringing her mewling, drooling, squealing baby to a packed theater?

And this is why I'm a snob. I do not understand what, if anything, goes on in someone's head who would do such a thing. Are they completely unable of understanding the repercussions of their actions? Are they so incapable of connecting the dots, of "getting" cause and effect? I'm thinking they are. And that says a lot about our society as a whole.

I refuse to be one of these people. I will be above this behavior, even if it's interpreted as snobbery. Being a courteous, considerate, conscious member of society is apparently very difficult.

Oh, but I liked the movie!

No comments: