Friday, November 5, 2010

Hateful Rhetoric

I recently had a Facebook conversation with a girl who, for all intents and purposes, is a Palin Tea Party-er. She is completely entitled to her opinion but when she started personally criticizing me, I deleted her thread from my page and blocked her as a friend. Harsh, yes. Personal attacks, however, are really not the answer, especially among "friends."

I've heard one of her attacks before, mostly from those I'm closest to: "you're too close to those academics and have bought into their rhetoric." If being educated and seeking to better myself through a lifetime of reading and personal growth is a bad thing....well, then, this country has more problems than we thought. If more people were "educated" then perhaps more than 10% would be able to do the math on their paycheck and figure out that Obama has given us a tax break.

But I'm getting distracted. I grew up in a conservative household. Heck, I grew up in Texas! I understand both sides and generally respect (though I have none for Palin) both. I understand being vehemently opposed to abortion; I understand states rights (historian, here); I like capitalism (I've read Ayn Rand, which is more than my FB "friend" - and perhaps Palin - has done!); I believe that hard work should be rewarded... But I also thought that four more years of Republican politics would do more harm than good. And I'm entitled to that opinion.

A blond comment by FB "friend" made... "I don't understand why people are so harsh on Palin." Well, honey, she's not too bright. She uses faith and allegiance to incite division and hatred. She talks more about grizzly bears than the issues. She lacks gravitas.

I've never blocked someone from FB before. It felt good. Again, everyone's entitled to their opinion... But not when they post hateful, ignorant things on my Wall.

Oh, and, haven't you heard? Obama saved capitalism...and we repaid him with scorn.

1 comment:

the secret knitter said...

Political opinions aside, the most discouraging thing about the general Republican stance is its proud anti-intellectualism. Valuing gut opinions over learning/facts is a dangerous direction to go in.