Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The White Pearl

Last week, I finished a book by one of my favorite authors - Kate Furnivall's The White Pearl.  It was great!

My Goodreads review:


I've loved every book written by Kate Furnivall but I was a bit hesitant about this one since it takes place in Malaysia. Once I picked it up and started reading Constance Hadley's story, however, I was immediately interested. 

I knew nothing of the Japanese invasion of Malaysia during World War II. Seen from the perspective of British colonials with a thriving rubber business, the invasion is traumatic and heartbreaking. Furnivall has a true gift for storytelling. She makes you like deeply flawed characters - and there are many in this novel. Against the backdrop of war, these characters must face their flaws and learn to survive together.

No comments: