Friday, November 13, 2015

The Wright Brothers

My book group chose David McCullough's The Wright Brothers for this month's read.  At first I was a bit apprehensive….but I love history and I'd always wanted to read a work of McCullough's.

Here's my Goodreads review:

David McCullough is such a well known name…and yet this is the first time I've read any of his books. And I'm glad I chose to start with The Wright Brothers because I really enjoyed it. 

I knew very little of Orville and Wilbur, though I have visited their monument at Kitty Hawk. Their story is truly amazing - one of relentless determination and perseverance. Their dedication is unlike anything we see today when all we want is instant gratification. The amount of testing and experimentation needed…anyone else would have quit. 

I'm so glad to have read their story. They are the personification of the American spirit - and true pioneers.

No comments: