Friday, January 24, 2014

Jalapeno Lime Chicken Soup (2014:3)

When I met my husband, he was surviving winters by eating canned soup five nights a week.  I was aghast.  Sure, the sodium is bad but there are even worse things in canned soup than sodium - hello, BPA!

And so I started making homemade soup on the weekends and freezing individual portions for week nights - and for some of my lunches.  It works great!  I don't cook during the week!  Alas, I'm always on the lookout for more freezable soup recipes.

When I happened upon this Jalapeno Lime Chicken Soup recipe, I was immediately tempted.  Usually, it takes me years to try new recipes once I bookmark them; this one took a week!

This recipe had two new ingredients for me: real jalepenos and white beans.  I was new to both.  I made a few changes to the recipe... I only used one 16 ounce jar of salsa - and I really can't imagine it with TWO jars.  Yikes!  For beans, I used two cans of Great Northern and two cans of navy beans.  I also skipped all the toppings, going for healthy instead of convoluted.  

This soup was very, very tasty!  And it has the added benefit of opening up one's sinuses - ha!  This will go into the regular soup rotation, at the request of Mr. Higgins.  A few suggestions, though....  Use a HUGE pot when making this; it makes a ton, which is great for freezing!  And use gloves when slicing up jalapenos!!  I'd never done it before so I didn't know that my hands would be burning for 24 hours afterward and that I would barely be able to get my contacts in and out.  Sigh.

Oh, I love finding new, good recipes!

No comments: