Friday, January 31, 2014

Sarah's Key

My new boss graciously extended me an offer to join her book club.  I was atually quite excited!  I'd really like to meet some of my new co-workers and several are part of the group!  When I learned that the book for this month was Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay, I immediately checked it out of the library and started reading.

Here's my review:

This book was chosen by a book club I've decided to join. And, truth be told, this book was the deciding factor in me joining the club. I had no idea the events that took place in this book really happened. French Jews rounded up and carted off to Auschwitz? I know I'm not a World War II expert but I had no idea.

The story of Sarah and her brother is horrific - something that you would think could not possibly happen in the modern era. But it did. And this story will forever haunt me, just as it did the characters in this book.  The story is told parallel to that of a present-day journalist who is given the Vel' d'Hiv' topic to investigate.  My only gripe with this book was the persistent talk of the journalist's love life. 


I really enjoyed this book - and it was a quick read.  If you want to learn more about France during World War II, this is a good start.

No comments: