Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Skinny Snickerdoodles (2014:4)

With my cooking challenge this year - 40 new recipes - I'm really trying to find different things to make.  I want to challenge myself and try some new techniques.  But, I failed at this recipe.  I needed some cookies to freeze in anticipation of company next weekend and these Skinny Snickerdoodles fit the bill: easy and low-calorie.

One thing I'm learning with low-fat cookies is that the recipes merely have you make a smaller cookie than one would normally make.  This seems to be the case with these skinny cookies.  They were small - but very good! 

I had to make a few substitutions.  When I went to get my whole-wheat flour, I saw that it was expired - by over a year.  So I used regular flour, which only increased the calories by 1.1  per cookie.  Not a dealbreaker.  I also lacked agave.  So as the dough was mixing - and was nothing like the consistency of normal dough, I added a few tablespoons of skim milk.  Once the dough looked normal, I scooped it out and it was perfectly good! 


When I took these out of the oven, they were almost too gooey.  But once they cooled and had set for a bit, they were good and soft.  Mr. Higgins approved of these bite-sized cookies and I like that they're portion controlled.  So, success!

No comments: