Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Into Thin Air

For Christmas, I gave Mr. Higgins Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air.  If you've never heard of this, it's the story of the author's experience hiking Mount Everest.

My Goodreads review:

Having no interest at all in Everest, it took a lot of coaxing from my husband to get me to read this book. But once I read the first two pages, I was fascinated. 

Jon Krakauer is one of the best nonfiction writers I've ever come across. He has a talent for making you feel like you're with him in the moment. Amazingly, he conveys to you all the facts and history you need without an ounce of dryness. 

Krakauer's story of climbing Everest is at once amazing, terrifying, and fascinating. I have no interest in climbing mountains and, honestly, think that those who want to risk their lives in such a fashion are mildly insane. But yet, I was enthralled by the story and motivations of each and every one of Krakauer's team mates, the Sherpas who helped them, and the guides who make a living by taking people to the top of Everest (hopefully). 

I will never step foot on Everest nor do I want to. I've now lived through one of the most insanely horrifying climbing seasons on the mountain through the eyes of Krakauer.


I can't say enough about this book and it's author.  Phenomenal.

No comments: