Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Work, Work, Work

When I look back on my previous job, as a researcher for a religion professor, I mostly remember what a great experience it was.  Until I got a new boss.  When I finally happened upon my current job listing - and got the position, I was ecstatic, to say the least.  

And I still am.  A researcher in religion doesn't have a career path - or any advancement - unless you obtain a PhD.  And for me, that ship had sailed.  My current position has a path, advancement opportunities (once I have a few more years of experience), and is professional.  Most importantly, I got to stay in higher education, a place I love.

So this new job is great.  I'm thankful every day that I was lucky enough to get it.  But every day comes with its own set of problems and stresses.  This is true for almost everyone.  

When I started my new job, I heard all about the upcoming database conversion.  It would happen next year....now that's this year.  Actually, it's today.  After months of prep work, extra work, fixing the new database, training for the new database, and loathing the old one, the day of reckoning is upon us.  

Every job has challenges and stresses.  This week is one of those weeks for me.  I'll be glad when it's over and when I never hear the world "conversion" again. That will be a glorious day.  Ha!

No comments: