Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Persepolis

This month, my book club chose to read our university's common reading book selection.  This is a novel or non-fiction work that all incoming freshman read and discuss prior to the start of classes.  It's usually a selection that makes them think outside of their day-to-day boxes, so to speak. 

This year's selection was Marjane Satrapi's graphic work, Persepolis.  I was a bit hesitant about reading a graphic novel but, from the first page, I was hooked.  It took me a total of four days to read it.

Here's my Goodreads post:

My book group chose to read this, after it was selected as the common reading for our university this year. I had no idea what to make of it - since it's a graphic novel - and I was blown away.

When I started reading this, I didn't want to put it down. "What's going to happen next?!," was all I could think about.

I loved Marji and her story is one that every young person in America should read. We have so many distorted views of Iraq, Islam, and the history of the Middle East. This sheds some light on all of these subjects, from the point of view of a young girl. Highly recommended!
        

No comments: